Question Villagers and Iron Farm - 1.18.1 v173

VanishingHope

Jan 25, 2022
Running 1.18.1 jar v173.

Trying to figure out if it's a setting or a bug.
  • Confirmed the farm works immediately upon log-in of vanilla single-player and vanilla multi-player server.
  • For the PaperMC server, spigot.yml is setup as per below...
    • villagers-active-for-panic = true
    • tick-inactive-villager = true
    • wake-up-inactive: villagers-max-per-tick = 8, villagers-every = 400, villagers-for = 100
Tried making the wake-up-inactive settings shorter.

How can I help troubleshoot this? Any guidance for a newb to PaperMC.

VanishingHope

Jan 25, 2022
Sorry, you're completely right that I missed the mark in my original post! Thank you for being polite about it :). Can't say that's always the case with other forums.

Observed on Paper server: Farm works after restart. It appears if I stop and restart the server, log in and interact with a villager... the farm works. However, if I log off of an already running server and back on, the iron golem never spawns again in the farm. I can interact with the villager, trade, etc. without luck. The villagers are running around frantically at night, try to sleep and wake. Yet no iron golem. Restart server, log in, interact and it works again.

The design is following the Avomance 1.18 iron farm for Java edition. Essentially the 3 villagers are in a box in the air, golem spawns in < 1-block deep water that pushes it into fire. Here's the main part of the farm.

2022-01-24_21.28.41.png

My thoughts on posting the few Spigot settings were that may-be something was wrong.

I took the world folders and moved it to my vanilla user profile directory, as well as spinning up a vanilla server jar using the same world file. Both appear to work as designed within 30-60 seconds of logging in, the golems start spawning.

EterNity

Staff member
Dec 13, 2021
under your bed!
paper-chan.moe
Firstable, I want you to check to ensure there are no other villagers within 32 blocks (2 chunks radius) of your farm.

Then, double check your simulation distances, you have to be within the range for the chunk to be loaded and also within the activation range for the farm to be at its full capacity (in paper server). The default activation range is 32 blocks which means you have to be within that range for the farm to be fully effective.

You can perform a test by going to your spigot.yml and alter the villager under entity-activation-range from 16 to -1 and ensure you are still within the simulation distance (farm being loaded) see if there is any difference (Please note that this is a performance degradation).

VanishingHope

Jan 25, 2022
Thanks EterNity.

Confirmed:
  • No other villagers in 2 chunk radius. My farm is in a single chunk (luckily, as that was not on purpose)
  • Sim Distinance is 24 chunks.
  • Tried changing entity-activation-range to -1, ended up not being necessary in the end. This did seem to help the unmodified farm some but still ran into the issue.

I think Avomance's farm might be a little broke. In single-player, stopping the game reset that value for me. In vanilla multi-player, I think it was just taking much longer before this process failed. I stayed in vanilla SMP and eventually, logging off and back in resulted in a similar issue.

I extended it by giving the villagers 1 extra block from the zombie and that seemed to do the trick. When they lay down now, it properly resets their panic in Paper.

Again, appreciate the help here! Have a great day.