Question Feedback requested (unable to reduce lag on my server)

ARKplayzz

May 8, 2022
Howdy
Im currently running a 1.18.2 paper server for a couple of small "streamers" They ussaly maintain about 20-80 players on peek and anywhere from 5-25 average when it comes to players.
Hence why Im worried to what may be impacting my server so heavily.

Timings : https://timings.aikar.co/?id=5ff74055beb7428ab97d149e2b88eaf7 (was taken after a reboot so im not sure how usefull this will be)

I'm currently running my server on my Hp-Proliant-G8 :

2x AMD Opteron™ 6234 i5-2300 (12c / 12t 2.4 GHz+),
128GB of RAM (32 allocated for the server, only 16 is used on peak),
Running Ubuntu server 22.04 (latest as of today)

I can provide files if anyone would find that usefull to look through.

If possible would anyone know what my next steps should be to reduce lag?
my main problems I experience is tps ranging from 7-11 when only 15-25 people are online hence causing entitys to come to a slow and arrows being unable to be shot.

When it comes to optimisations I belive im on top of most things as my paper.yml bukkit.yml & spigot.yml are the best they can be (as of internets recommendation)
chunks have been completely pre-loaded, so lag wise its rarely is an issue that chunks will somtimes take a while to load when teleporting into them.

Im not to worried what the tps is left at as long as arrows, players and entitys are able to run smoothly Im more than happy!

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
Those bots don't actually do much useful and just compare your configuration file to an "optimised" config, heavily recommend using a guide which actually explains what stuff is doing and the implications vs blindly following the copied values from what was probably a not so great configuration guide

ARKplayzz

May 8, 2022
I will update the post with a more informative timings report as it doesnt show anything at the moment, all I request is some tips on what I need to look into for optimising and how to do so as I have already followed many of these so called "game fixing" config guides and from my experince they can only do so much and its near impossible to factor for specific outcomes, systems and players. I think one of the things that may be bottle-necking my system is the CPU's due to mc requiring more single core based calculations hence impacting chunks and entitys due to my CPU having 1-1 cores to threads rather than 1-2. which is why I would like to try and optimise my server in such a way that that the potential bottle-neck does not interfeer with the end users experience.
Ill update the post with a more informative timings report later today once Im happy with the data it has collected :)

Jan 28, 2022
Germany
crazycloudcraft.de
I will update the post with a more informative timings report as it doesnt show anything at the moment, all I request is some tips on what I need to look into for optimising and how to do so as I have already followed many of these so called "game fixing" config guides and from my experince they can only do so much and its near impossible to factor for specific outcomes, systems and players. I think one of the things that may be bottle-necking my system is the CPU's due to mc requiring more single core based calculations hence impacting chunks and entitys due to my CPU having 1-1 cores to threads rather than 1-2. which is why I would like to try and optimise my server in such a way that that the potential bottle-neck does not interfeer with the end users experience.
Ill update the post with a more informative timings report later today once Im happy with the data it has collected :)
Yes, "game fixing" configuration guides are not the right way. (I think btw. there is a perfomance issue with entitys) But there are tips what you can do. Like in this post here, but performance is a part were you can't go far anymore, especially for Paper.