Question Clearlagg

Drache

Jul 29, 2023
Hey everyone,

I do have a simple question that nobody seems to be able to answer - at least not at the Spigot forum:

Why do we all get rid off clearlagg? (WAIT please continue to read):

In my server, we use clearlagg to simply delete all entties that are arrows or boats (cause they are cheap to create / build). So clearlagg does simply delete these entities to prevent someone from trying to slow down / crash the server.

A lot of people say we do not need clearlagg anymore now cause paper manages a lot of things. But how would paper manage this issue? For example, I teleported to a chunk yesterday with like 40 arrows around there which were there for weeks now. I know, as long as the chunk isn't loaded, it shouldn't cause a problem. But what if some "bad players" spawn 1000 boats / arrows to crash the server. So how would I prevent this or how to figure out they crashed the server that way?

Or in short: can paper fix this issue or do we still need to use clearlagg?

Thanks for your answers =)

Machine Maker

Paper Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
California
Well, that specific issue about spawning a large number of entities can be somewhat mitigated by using paper's chunk entity save limits. Basically it prevents more than a configured number of a specific entity from being saved in a chunk. So like if you set it to 4 for boats, then only 4 boats can be saved in a chunk. More can exist, but the moment that chunk is unloaded, and therefore saved, only 4 of them are saved.

You can also configure the despawn rate for each item individually or globally shortening it from 5 minutes if you want it to be something smaller.
There might be more strategies, but these 2 are the first that come to my mind.

Drache

Jul 29, 2023
Well, that specific issue about spawning a large number of entities can be somewhat mitigated by using paper's chunk entity save limits. Basically it prevents more than a configured number of a specific entity from being saved in a chunk. So like if you set it to 4 for boats, then only 4 boats can be saved in a chunk. More can exist, but the moment that chunk is unloaded, and therefore saved, only 4 of them are saved.

You can also configure the despawn rate for each item individually or globally shortening it from 5 minutes if you want it to be something smaller.
There might be more strategies, but these 2 are the first that come to my mind.

To be fair, I never used the chunk limiter manually. So I think my setup should still be standard. Is there any suggestion you would tell me to do? Because right now it sounds like I could get rid off clearlagg, or?

So if I got it right: If trolls/griefers go into a chunk and spawn like 100000 boats, what exactly will happen? I mean, they could stay there which means the chunk is still loaded. Will they even be able to spawn so many boats or does paper prevent this already, like a limit or so ( I am trying to understand papers behavior in this specific situation to make sure that we really do not need the clearlagg boat / arrow / armorstands clear function )