Question Chat verification error

alex_5678

Oct 30, 2022
I have a Network setup with waterfall and paper servers. After upgrading the paper servers from 1.19.2 to 1.20.1, I have a problem that players get kicked with the messages multiplayer.disconnect.unsigned_chat or multiplayer.disconnect.chat_validation_failed.
This is the Kick message from a paper server. They are just send to a fallback server. After that everything works again.

I have no way to reproduce this error because it happens without any context when players chat or use commands.

The only way I way able to reproduce it is by using a staff chat that cancels a chat event on waterfall (where I now found out, that I should not cancel it there, but just on paper?)

Does anybody know how I could get more information regarding the error?
Like further debug logs, ...

This is the only thing, I know from logs:

[20:53:52] [Netty Epoll Server IO #1/WARN]: Failed to validate message acknowledgements from ...
[20:53:52] [Server thread/INFO]: ... lost connection: Chat message validation failure

Version Output
GitPaper 1.20.1-80

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
cancelling packets on the proxy basically messes up the chat chain, pretty much all you can do is move that stuff over to the backend servers to that they retain the chain

alex_5678

Oct 30, 2022
Yes, that is what I have found out reading everything I could find.
Normal Chat Events are only canceled in paper on my server.

But in my case it is not about canceling chat events but using commands without even chatting once.

alex_5678

Oct 30, 2022
But it is not about just canceling it.
Sometimes when I write something, it works. Then some time later I get kicked.

I already tried deactivating the plugins one by one but maybe there are multiple ones causing this issue.
I just have no idea how I could continue debugging.
Especially because I don't even know what (packages?) exactly cause the problem. Sometimes a /backpack causes kicks.

alex_5678

Oct 30, 2022
Oh, thanks!
Now I can reproduce.

Then I have to think about that.
It probably will not be compatible with bungee/waterfall plugins, am I right?

And although I know that many of you work a lot for paper and waterfall, there is nothing you can estimate on when this might be fixed?
(I think this is clearly the worst bug right now when you can not use bungee commands)

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
velocity is not compatible with bungee/waterfall plugins, no

I have a general theory on why this is happening based on some other discussions, but, don't have a computer able to do the stuff I'd need to diagnose and test and resolve it, so, no real ETA at the moment; freedomchat on the backend servers I think will mitigate the issue, but, not 100% sure

Reactions: alex_5678

alex_5678

Oct 30, 2022
Thanks. I will just tell my players not to use waterfall commands if not needed.
(Although this will not prevent all of the problems because sometimes you get kicked even when just chatting and not using commands at all)