Question Can't roll back server version

JunglTemple

Dec 30, 2023
I was trying to make Geyser work, which meant updating to 1.20.4. I thought this would work, but it caused some other plugins, including my world generation plugin, to break because of incompatibility with 1.20.4, so I had to roll back to 1.20.1. I stupidly forgot to make a backup because I thought it would work, and now I'm stuck with a server that will crash on every start. Is there a way to make it work?

Last edited:

JunglTemple

Dec 30, 2023
Downgrading is not supported.

Either use 1.20.4 and find non-abandoned plugins or restore from a backup you made before you upgraded the server.
So if I wanted to keep the plugins, I would have to wait until they get updated? Is there seriously no way to roll back unless there's a backup?

Machine Maker

Paper Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
California
Neither vanilla nor paper support downgrading. There is a whole process for converting chunks, entities, player data, everything to newer versions that is only written in one direction. Which is why you can't just go back to an older version, the game could be expecting data to be structured one way, only to find it different because it has been updated.

JunglTemple

Dec 30, 2023
Neither vanilla nor paper support downgrading. There is a whole process for converting chunks, entities, player data, everything to newer versions that is only written in one direction. Which is why you can't just go back to an older version, the game could be expecting data to be structured one way, only to find it different because it has been updated.
That makes a lot more sense. Thank you for letting me know.