Best server programming language?

Tennessine

Apr 7, 2022
www.acclash.com
Asking the developers: If you could easily convert Paper into any other programming language and make it work with the client. Would you change it and what would you change it to? Kotlin? C++? Just curious because I might try to make my own server software from scratch for another game.

stefvanschie

Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
Which one is the best depends on what you want to achieve. Certainly some languages will be able to achieve certain goals better than others, but that depends on what you want.

Tennessine

Apr 7, 2022
www.acclash.com
Which one is the best depends on what you want to achieve. Certainly some languages will be able to achieve certain goals better than others, but that depends on what you want.
I just want a high-performance server with an API for plugins (kind of like Spigot and Paper, except for another game)

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
At the end of the day, Java is close enough to being on par performance wise with other languages, that that is really not a consideration, even js has some runtime environments which can offer close to native performance last I knew.

biggest consideration is accessibility, the community around paper knows Java, and so ditching that would generally be akin to shooting oneself in the foot. Not touched C++ in a few years, looks like rust might be slowly nibbling at the edge of that space, to the degree that its showing up in some interesting spaces, but, big caveat to remember is that you’re more so picking the ecosystem rather than just a language these days.

Reactions: LoJoSho

Tennessine

Apr 7, 2022
www.acclash.com
At the end of the day, Java is close enough to being on par performance wise with other languages, that that is really not a consideration, even js has some runtime environments which can offer close to native performance last I knew.

biggest consideration is accessibility, the community around paper knows Java, and so ditching that would generally be akin to shooting oneself in the foot. Not touched C++ in a few years, looks like rust might be slowly nibbling at the edge of that space, to the degree that its showing up in some interesting spaces, but, big caveat to remember is that you’re more so picking the ecosystem rather than just a language these days.
Yeah, for sure. I considered C++ since it has lower level access, but since I'm more comfortable with Java that's what I chose