Question Unusual high network usage

Learting

Sep 12, 2022
Hello everyone, I encountered some annoying problems that I could not solve for days so Im here.

So here it is: as the players' amount increase, the network usage becomes more intensive, which is understandable for sure. However, I realized that even when a player is afk, the connection to him/her is using about 2Mbps. Each player has at least 1.5Mbps usage of the network.

Then I tried to be in a flat world, with no mobs/entities around me, but surprisingly, '/iftop' network monitoring on my client and on the server show that there is still 1.5Mbps usage. But obviously, that is pure flat! how could it be possible to have constant 1.5M usage, with no entities/mobs or something else near me. What I only have is the loaded grass blocks.

When there are only 1 or 2 players, it becomes 400~500Kbps, even in the normal overworld. So I am so confused and wondering how to deal with this.

I use velocity and set the compression level to 9 with a threshold of 64. On paper, the compression is disabled by -1.

Last edited: