Question Server looses ip address when someone outside LAN joins

onix

Dec 27, 2023
Hello guys. Any help will be appreceated. Basically I have a server (physical), which has esxi 6.5. I run there ubuntu vm with static ip outside of DHCP range, forwarded ports. As long as I connect from my local network, it works fine, but if somebody connects from outside then vm looses ip and needs to be rebooted to gain it back. Nothing in Paper logs as server does not crash (i can see that by RAM usage in vmware software). Also nothing in journalctl.
Same with vanilla server.
Any hints for me?

Simon

Jan 5, 2022
Hm, interesting. I'm not too familiar with esxi, after a quick search I was able to find the following Reddit post here. Can you verify that it is neither of these?

onix

Dec 27, 2023
Hm, interesting. I'm not too familiar with esxi, after a quick search I was able to find the following Reddit post here. Can you verify that it is neither of these?
Not sure as I set static IP through netpan, which is ubuntu utility. Also there are no such issues with any other process, except minecraft server. And that bothers me the most

Simon

Jan 5, 2022
Hm, I see. I know what netplan is, but I'm afraid I won't be much help here. With that being said, as long as you bind the Minecraft serbur to the correct address in the server.properties file, it shouldn't matter. Out of curiosity, if you start any other application that uses TCP on the same VM, and try to connect, does the same thing happen?

onix

Dec 27, 2023
Hm, I see. I know what netplan is, but I'm afraid I won't be much help here. With that being said, as long as you bind the Minecraft serbur to the correct address in the server.properties file, it shouldn't matter. Out of curiosity, if you start any other application that uses TCP on the same VM, and try to connect, does the same thing happen?
Not sure it is tcp, but if I run nginx, then no problems there.

onix

Dec 27, 2023
With that being said, as long as you bind the Minecraft serbur
Yeah, I tries blank, 0.0.0.0 and local ip, but no luck. I guess i will never find out where is the problem.
Thank you for your time and help.

Simon

Jan 5, 2022
No worries, sorry I couldn't help with much. My last tip would be to try with an address that is in the DHCP address range, or just let DHCP assign something and update stuff dynamically.