Question Failed to extract server libraries, exiting

Fluitenkruid

May 30, 2022
Good day,

I have been trying to set up a papermc server on my Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB but I ran into some complications. I am not very skilled in servers or linux so that might be the cause of the problem...
This is what I have already done, I downloaded Java 17, I got the server.jar from the papermc website, I ran the command java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar server.jar nogui, got an error saying Failed to download original jar, after that i did some research and downloaded the server.jar from the original minecraft website and named it server.jar.1, then I ran the command java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar server.jar.1 nogui that greeted me with this:

Unpacking 1.18.2/server-1.18.2.jar (versions:1.18.2) to versions/1.18.2/server-1.18.2.jar
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /home/pi/myssd/papermcservergoede/versions
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:90)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:106)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:111)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.createDirectory(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:398)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectory(Files.java:700)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createAndCheckIsDirectory(Files.java:807)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectories(Files.java:793)
at net.minecraft.bundler.Main.extractJar(Main.java:105)
at net.minecraft.bundler.Main.checkAndExtractJar(Main.java:100)
at net.minecraft.bundler.Main.readAndExtractDir(Main.java:92)
at net.minecraft.bundler.Main.run(Main.java:38)
at net.minecraft.bundler.Main.main(Main.java:25)
Failed to extract server libraries, exiting

I found someone on Reddit with the same issue who fixed it by not having any special characters in their directory, which is, in my case as you can see, not applicable. I hope someone here can help me find a solution :)
Also, if I did something wrong formatting the post, I'm sorry, this is one of my first forum posts in server territory...

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
You need to ensure that the folder which the server is running under is owned by the user which the server is running as, i.e. if the server is running as the pi user, you're going to want to chown -R pi serverFolderHere (Will more than likely need to run that as root/under sudo)

Fluitenkruid

May 30, 2022
You need to ensure that the folder which the server is running under is owned by the user which the server is running as, i.e. if the server is running as the pi user, you're going to want to chown -R pi serverFolderHere (Will more than likely need to run that as root/under sudo)
This worked, the server starts. Now I ran into two other issues...
1. I get this warning: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Runnin x ms or x ticks behind

2. When I try to connect through the minecraft launcher, the connection times out...

Also, how do I leave the server console in SSH? The fact that I have to restart PuTTY everytime I want to change something on the pi frustrates me...
Thanks a lot for the help.