Suggestion Change /reload to an event-based system

Andre_601

Feb 8, 2022
This was something I discussed before on the Discord, but I feel like it got a bit lost before people could find and discuss it properly.

Was recently thinking about if it could be a benefitial feature for Paper to adobt a reload-system similar to Sponge, that is, having an event fired that plugins can listen for to then do whatever they need to refresh their own data.
I'm aware that the reload command is not recommended to use, but people will still use it unless it was completely removed. This, however, would imo be a very harsh move as there are situations where a reload is still preferred over a restart (Mainly to avoid players being lost or due to long startup times), so having it be replaced by an event would make the command a lot less frustrating to use.

Tho, that is just my opinion here and I would love to hear feedback from you too!

Reactions: 4drian3d

MCMDEV

Mar 13, 2022
If you had an event-based reload system that plugins control, there wouldn't be any reason to discourage people from doing reloads.

Andre_601

Feb 8, 2022
If you had an event-based reload system that plugins control, there wouldn't be any reason to discourage people from doing reloads.
I did point out that there can be reasons and situations where a reload is more useful than an entire restart, especially when it would kick a lot of players (And there not being any kind of fallback or limbo server in place).

The current system is bad. Nothing to deny here. But a better system could help make it useful again without the risk of breaking anything important I would say.

Loapu

Jan 4, 2022
Hessen, Germany
loapu.dev
The proposed concept is commendable. It entails the ability to log unsupported plugin reloads, thereby alerting the Owner. Further, the functionality could be expanded to facilitate the reloading of specific plugins without requiring them to incorporate their own command, thereby eliminating the need to reload numerous plugins to preview changes made to a particular one.

Reactions: Andre_601