Question TPS loss, server crashes since approximately version 1.13+

Mr_Kittle

Jun 15, 2024
Hi,
I try to post on this forum since I encounter many issues for several years with my Minecraft server.
I used to run Spigot until version 1.13 has been released. With Spigot the servers were suddenly unable to load chunks and they quickly crashed...
I decided to move my servers to PaperMC.

PaperMC has resolved the issue significantly ! But only for a certain time...
Progressively red messages appeared in the console ("thread dump..."), TPS loss spikes every 5 10 or 20 minutes... And servers crashed.
I tried to resolve this issue since many years without success.

We have :
  • Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5550 @ 2.67GHz CPU
  • 64Go RAM.
  • HDD 1To
  • Java 21
  • PaperMC 1.20.4
I tried to identify some plugins wich could cause the issue, but even without any plugin the servers crash sooner or later.
I updated Java to version 21 in case where...

The monitoring of machine resources indicates a low usage of resources (CPU, RAM...) so I don't understand at all what is the problem.
If someone has encountered this kind of problem and would be able to help me to resolve it, I would be grateful to him.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Kind regards, Mr_Kittle.

SirPoppyThFatCat

Jun 15, 2024
It's your PC. Your CPU is from 2009, your ram is gonna be slow DDR3 and your HDD is absolutely holding you back. The reason your monitoring is recording low usages is because your PC is constantly waiting for your HDD to supply it with data. I'm assuming that the HDD is as old as the PC or server, so it's probably on its last legs, and generally needs an upgrade.
1.13+ absolutely tanks performance, and with a pc as old as this, minecraft server performance suffers. If you need a quick fix, an SSD will help, but I think you just need a new server.
Also, how many people are on your server at once?