Question Server runs fine when JAR is manually clicked. But not from Command Prompt. (not the common lack of PAUSE issue)

Arachnia

Jan 7, 2023
I couldn't find anything on this issue and was hoping someone could help me figure it out.

When I start my PaperMC/Spiggot server by manually clicking on the JAR file, the whole thing starts up just fine and we're able to connect to it and play with no issues.

However, when I try to start the server via .BAT file, it starts up, loads everything the way it normally would, just like it does when manually clicking the papermc JAR. Unfortunately we have not been able to connect to the server when it is started in this manner despite it appearing to be done loading and is sitting open and visible as I would expect it to be.

I would be 100% fine with just manually clicking the server JAR but I built the server myself and it has access to 64gb of memory. I would like to be able to utilize that memory regardless of whether we have enough players to eat all that mem. This seems to be the only way to increase the memory allocation as far as I can tell but I'm open to alternative solutions if there are any.

This is the command line argument I am currently using in the .BAT file:
java -Xms32G -Xmx32G -jar paper.jar --nogui

I've tried multiple variations with the same or worse results. Like taking off the nogui, or adding a pause on the 2nd line, etc.

Any help is appreciated and thank you so much in advance! I am new to running an SMP server but I have learned a lot in a short amount of time and absolutely LOVE tinkering around with the backend of Minecraft. This has been the first hurdle I haven't been able to overcome myself.

<3

Solution
After loading Minecraft directly on to the same pc as the server, it DID successfully connect via localhost when server is started via script.

EDIT: I checked Windows Firewall and there were 2 blocked Java Platform SE Binary entries. I disabled that and we can once again connect remotely. Ironically those were the only 2 "block" entries in the entire list. Just didn't occur to me there would be a difference between the two methods, one unaffected by a firewall rule while the other way was indeed affected by it.

Machine Maker

Paper Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
California
Can you post the startup logs from when you start the server with the startup script?

Unfortunately we have not been able to connect to the server when it is started in this manner despite it appearing to be done loading and is sitting open and visible as I would expect it to be.

Can you expand on "not been able to connect"? Are you trying to connect with localhost? Does the server show up as online in the server list?

Arachnia

Jan 7, 2023
Not using localhost. We connect via other computers in the house and my nieces remotely from a separate state. It does not show up as online in the server list. If relevant , I've tried using local network IP as well as the external IP and neither will work in this case.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I didn't think I'd get a response tonight lol. <3

I suppose I'll get my copy of Minecraft loaded on to the server pc and see if it will connect via localhost/127.0.0.1. If for nothing else but to add to the process of elimination. I will post when I get the chance to test that tonight.

Attachments

• latest.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Arachnia

Jan 7, 2023
After loading Minecraft directly on to the same pc as the server, it DID successfully connect via localhost when server is started via script.

EDIT: I checked Windows Firewall and there were 2 blocked Java Platform SE Binary entries. I disabled that and we can once again connect remotely. Ironically those were the only 2 "block" entries in the entire list. Just didn't occur to me there would be a difference between the two methods, one unaffected by a firewall rule while the other way was indeed affected by it.

Last edited:
Solution