Question Paper doesn't seem to be following generator-settings

bopontop

Oct 5, 2024
I'm using Paper together with the Chunky plugin to pre-generate world data, but I've run into a snag when trying to do this with custom generator-settings. The world data doesn't seem to actually be fully generated. It's entirely possible that I'm misunderstanding how to use generator-settings. Do you see what I might be doing wrong? Or do you know of a way I could debug this situation?

I created a server.properties file that I hope is creating a flat world where the first 6 levels are bedrock, followed by 160 levels of sandstone, and nothing but air above that...
Code:
generate-structures=false
generator-settings={"biome"\:"minecraft\:desert","layers"\:[{"block"\:"minecraft\:bedrock","height"\:6},{"block"\:"minecraft\:sandstone","height"\:160}]}
difficulty=peaceful
gamemode=creative
level-type=minecraft\:flat

Then I run papermc, and use Chunky to instruct PaperMC to begin generating:
Code:
    chunky world world
    chunky corners 0 0 4095 4095
    chunky start

That all seems to run well, but when I directly inspect the world data (the .mca files) I find that for every chunk instead of 160 layers of uninterrupted sandstone, there's a gigantic cave in the middle of that area of the world. Interestingly, when I log into the server as a player and go down into those regions of the world, Paper does generate sandstone in there, and the world files get updated. I wonder if PaperMC is doign some kind of "just in time" generation within chunks -- perhaps an optimization to reduce world file size? But I need the world files to be generated properly BEFORE players enter into those parts of the map. (My use case is maybe unusual. I'm not using PaperMC to host a server for friends. I'm using it to generate data for a research project about Minecraft. So I actually do need the fully generated world files to be... fully generated :)

Thank you in advance for any ideas you might have around this!

(Also: for people who are more visual, I'll attach a little side-view schematic)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-05 at 10.45.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 at 10.45.25 AM.png
    296.9 KB · Views: 2