Solved ignore-vanilla-permissions in commands.yml

BlueishMage

Aug 7, 2023
In the commands.yml file, there's a setting called ignore-vanilla-permissions, which by default is false. I'm now wondering what the **** this setting does? Tried a couple things that seemed might be affected by this, but it had no effect on any of them, and google search results were profoundly unhelpful.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, perhaps it's better in some other place, feel free to redirect me.

Solution
That’s because the default permissions in Bukkit also have defaults. The correct ones default to true on players that are opped. So changing that setting shouldn’t have any difference.

Here is a scenario that shows its use. Op a player (with level 4). Remove the Bukkit permission for the stop command (via luckperms or something). With that setting at its default, the opped player can still run the command because it first checks if the op level of the player matches the op level required for the command (stop requires 4). Now toggle the setting and the opped player cannot run stop because the vanilla permissions are ignored.

Machine Maker

Paper Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
California
So vanilla doesn’t have the same permission system that Bukkit does. Vanilla has op levels, 0-4. What this setting does is ignore those op level requirements for any command that has them, basically making the Bukkit permission system the sole arbiter of who has what permission.

BlueishMage

Aug 7, 2023
So vanilla doesn’t have the same permission system that Bukkit does. Vanilla has op levels, 0-4. What this setting does is ignore those op level requirements for any command that has them, basically making the Bukkit permission system the sole arbiter of who has what permission.
Except, it doesn't. I tested that. It's one of those more obvious things I thought it might be.

If you don't have op, you can do any vanilla command that doesn't need op, regardless of this setting.

If you do have op, you can do any vanilla commands that need op, regardless of your actual op level, and regardless of this setting!

Machine Maker

Paper Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
California
That’s because the default permissions in Bukkit also have defaults. The correct ones default to true on players that are opped. So changing that setting shouldn’t have any difference.

Here is a scenario that shows its use. Op a player (with level 4). Remove the Bukkit permission for the stop command (via luckperms or something). With that setting at its default, the opped player can still run the command because it first checks if the op level of the player matches the op level required for the command (stop requires 4). Now toggle the setting and the opped player cannot run stop because the vanilla permissions are ignored.

Solution

BlueishMage

Aug 7, 2023
Right!

So by all defaults, an opped player has permissions for op-level vanilla commands twice. Once through vanilla permissions which take into account the op level and can be disabled by this ignore-vanilla-permissions setting. And another time through the ordinary permissions system, which doesn't take into account the op level, and can be disabled by explicit negatived permissions in whichever permissions plugin you're using.

That clears it up, thanks a lot!