Question How to run Paper with Java 17-internal?

Silvigarabis

Jun 16, 2023
I'm trying to start the Paper server version 1.20.1 in Termux (an Android program that provides a linux-like environment), but it refuses to start because I'm using an "unsupported version of Java".
I tried downloading version 1.8.8 of Paper and it started successfully. However, 1.20.1 fails to start due to the above reasons.
Is there a way to have Paper continue the startup without checking the Java version?

There is a short log:
Code:
Downloading mojang_1.20.1.jar
Applying patches
Starting org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main
Unsupported Java detected (17-internal). You are running an outdated, pre-release version. Only general availability versions of Java are supported. Please update your Java version.

Solution
No, paper doesn't provide an override for that. This check was added by upstream (spigot) to prevent using the -ea versions of java 17. I'm assuming -internal builds fall into that same category of not guaranteeing that all official Java 17 API will be present, which is why the check was added in the first place. You can patch Paper yourself to remove that check, or find a way to install a non -internal version of Java 17.

Machine Maker

Paper Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
California
No, paper doesn't provide an override for that. This check was added by upstream (spigot) to prevent using the -ea versions of java 17. I'm assuming -internal builds fall into that same category of not guaranteeing that all official Java 17 API will be present, which is why the check was added in the first place. You can patch Paper yourself to remove that check, or find a way to install a non -internal version of Java 17.

Solution

hkcu

Nov 7, 2023
You can bypass this check by setting the property "Paper.IgnoreJavaVersion" to true.

For example: java -DPaper.IgnoreJavaVersion=true paper-jar.jar