How can I store an object like ArrayList in the persistent data container?

Sheepion

Feb 27, 2022
China
I want to write something complex into the persistent data container like my own class or an ArrayList

_Pesto

Mar 7, 2022
What are you trying to achieve exactly (might be an XY problem). Regardless, I would say if your storing something like a list of strings then store the list as a single string with a delimiter. Storing something like an object seems overkill for PDC but you could store each property into multiple data containers.

Sheepion

Feb 27, 2022
China
What are you trying to achieve exactly (might be an XY problem). Regardless, I would say if your storing something like a list of strings then store the list as a single string with a delimiter. Storing something like an object seems overkill for PDC but you could store each property into multiple data containers.
I am trying to add multiple effect to my item, I have wrote a custom potion api to make my own potion. I stored the potion's effect type into the PDC as a String, and it can only store one string, but I want a list of string so that I can add two or more effect into one potion. So I wonder if I can store some object in the PDC to make something more interesting and flexible.

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
You can store a byte[], in which you can encode whatever date you want into there, generally you'd do a length prefixed array, and then length prefixed strings to simulate a String[], then there's also "just store json", etc

Sheepion

Feb 27, 2022
China
For example, I can store a list of itemstack in a block's PDC, so I can add the itemstack to the drops when player breaks the block.