Chunks handling

Arag0ne

May 24, 2024
Hello,

I would like to configure my new server on PaperMC, but the documentation dealing with global configuration doesn't seem to be as clear as it should be.

First, I would like to configurate all chunks handling stuff. I can handle basics in Java development, so reading documentation is not a problem. I tried first to read the basics on the Minecraft Wiki "Chunk" page, but a few things are not clear. Actually, the "Ticking" subsection in the "Limitations" section is not clear at all. The article is telling about the fact that chunk loading process would not be enough to make all game features available, particularily ticking stuff (it does not affect spawning, I am only telling about ticking). Then is introduced the simulation distance. The article mentions :

"Chunk loading caused by a player ticket allows entities to be ticked only if the chunk is in a square around the chunk which has the player ticket, as defined by the formulas described below.
[…]

In singleplayer, "Simulation Distance" in options decides the side length of the square. It follows the formula l = min(2s+1,63) where s is the selected simulation distance, and l is the side length (in chunks) of the square."

The "Simulation Distance" Mc Wiki article also mentions : "The simulation distance is purely chunk based and has nothing to do with the player's position inside the chunk."

I wonder why there is a "min" in the formula and why 1,63 instead of an int type value. The result of the calculation being a number of chunks, it doesn't make sence because the result is certainly a float type. I found nothing about this anywhere. Someone help ?

stefvanschie

Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
The min function takes two values and chooses the minimum value. The 1,63 you're referring to is not a decimal value, but a separation between the two values. It chooses between 2s + 1 and 63, whichever is lower. Why exactly the developers chose to put a min function in the formula, I do not know.