Suggestion Auto-configure Paper server render distance

TechyDodo

Jun 1, 2024
Hi all, I just wanted to suggest a possible feature for a future update. I noticed in paper-config that the server can automatically configure chunk send distance, and I think it would be even more efficient if it could also configure render distance for the server automatically. Maybe the user could specify a range, and server render distance would be somehow based off of chunk send distance. This would also negate the need for extra plugins to do the job of unloading extra chunks.

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
I don't exactly understand what you're asking, paper send chunks at a range of whatever is lower, the servers VD or the clients VD

TechyDodo

Jun 1, 2024
It seems to me that the server will try to render chunks around each player according to render-distance in server.properties, then it will automatically choose how many of those chunks to send to clients based on their render distance. I'm asking if instead of choosing send distance automatically, it could choose render distance for the whole server automatically, based on client render distance.

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
oh, you mean that the server's view distance would cap to the clients view distance or whatever was lower; there are some mechanical concerns over that sort of thing such as the simulation distance, mob spawning, etc.

I'm not sure if this would be a thing, would need to be filed on the github, but, from the looks of it this could be fairly trivially done with a plugin and the API, you just need to b

TechyDodo

Jun 1, 2024
Using the same mechanism as the one used to configure chunk send distance, the server could automatically configure it's render distance based on client render distance. The user could still configure a range for the server so it doesn't get too low or too high, but this would prevent the server from loading more chunks than necessary while still showing more powerful clients to see father. Without this mechanism I either have to set my render distance in server.properties lower, which would prevent clients that could handle the higher render distance from seeing it, or use a plug-in that constantly went through and unloaded unused chunks at regular intervals, which might just get reloaded by the server.

electronicboy

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 11, 2021
paper already supports per player load distances, it would be fairly trivial to just set a load distance based on the clamping that you want

TechyDodo

Jun 1, 2024
Okay, so then how does Paper handle the render-distance option in server.properties? I thought it would simply render that distance around all players and then decide how many of those chunks to send to the clients.