Question Anyone know why mcping is returning Anonymous Player and zero uuid?

Fahrenheit451

Dec 20, 2023
Hi. Has anyone seen this issue before with mcping where player uuid's are all zeros and all names are "Anonymous Player". It started happening recently, probably in the last month or so. It's a standard mcping using php which hasn't changed for a long time.

Here's a snippet of the json data coming back from the server (with the favicon stripped out):

Code (Text):
{"version":{"name":"Paper 1.20.1","protocol":763},"description":{"text":""},"players":{"max":10,"online":1,"sample":[{"id":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","name":"Anonymous Player"}]}}

Normally that would be the players uuid and name. The ping is returning all the correct data, except for the players suddenly being anonymous. It feels like a server setting, but nothing has been changed on our 1.20.2 servers and it's the same on all of them, and I also get the same result running it against 1.20.1 and 1.20.4 test servers. We are running BungeeCord also, but mcping is direct socket to the minecraft server and port.

Thanks.

Solution
This is probably because the player has 'allow server listings' disabled in their client settings. The option was introduced in a 1.18 snapshot.

edit: if this is happening for the entire server, maybe it's the hide-online-players setting? not entirely sure how that one is implemented

Fahrenheit451

Dec 20, 2023
That is indeed the issue. I did notice some players were showing up fine, but others not, so I thought it was a code issue. I tested it with my ID and that's the setting! Thanks a lot for the quick response. Very much appreciated.