Question 1.19 server becoming randomly unresponsive, and outputting random thread dumps

Artica

Jun 22, 2022
Hello, I recently started a paper 1.19 server with build 27 I believe. The server ran fine for a day, but then began to encounter massive lag spikes in the middle of the night, when no one was on. The console would warn it was running thousands of ticks behind, then would output a thread dump. This happened multiple times per day and has for about 3 days. The weird thing is most of these thread dumps were completely different. The server usually recovered after about a minute, and would continue normally. But about 1/3 of the time it would just completely crash. I updated to the different versions as they came out, and im now on 31, but the errors still happen.

I started with one plugin installed, Chunky, which I used on all my servers to reduce lag from chunk loading. The first sets of errors seemed all related to chunks so I uninstalled it, but the errors are still occuring now with no plugins.

I have previously hosted a 1.18.2 paper server on this same machine, and the only different now is im using a 64 bit os instead of 32. The 1.18.2 server worked flawlessly so im wondering if this is a issue with 1.19 specifically?

Also, the timing reports are sort of hit and miss, because there are always different processes causing lag. However the main ones I found were "Chunk provider tick" and "Distance manager tick"

I have attached the thread dumps so if anyone could tell me what they are saying and how to fix the errors it would be appreciated.