Question World dimension issue

fishwasher

Jan 18, 2022
Hello! I've had this weird issue where, after updating my server to 1.18.1 from 1.17.1, one of my worlds that is in the end has suffered a strange glitch and is now in a custom dimension instead of the end.

The affected world's name, "Abyss", has somehow overwritten the intended dimension, minecraft:the_end, causing graphical artifacts as the game is confused how to render the dimension.

F3 displays:
minecraft:abyssScreenshot 2022-01-18 at 10.05.08 PM.png

while a normal end world should properly display:
minecraft:the_endScreenshot 2022-01-18 at 10.05.28 PM.png
How can I fix this? I'm running Multiverse and the latest version of Paper, I couldn't find anything in the NBT world files relating to dimension or anything. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Tau

Jan 12, 2022
Hello! I've had this weird issue where, after updating my server to 1.18.1 from 1.17.1, one of my worlds that is in the end has suffered a strange glitch and is now in a custom dimension instead of the end.

The affected world's name, "Abyss", has somehow overwritten the intended dimension, minecraft:the_end, causing graphical artifacts as the game is confused how to render the dimension.

F3 displays:

while a normal end world should properly display:

How can I fix this? I'm running Multiverse and the latest version of Paper, I couldn't find anything in the NBT world files relating to dimension or anything. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
You could install Fast Async Worldedit and create a huge cuboid selection, //expand vert, turn on //fast and use //setbiome the_end
You could also use MCEdit.

(May need to relog to see changes)

fishwasher

Jan 18, 2022
You could install Fast Async Worldedit and create a huge cuboid selection, //expand vert, turn on //fast and use //setbiome the_end
You could also use MCEdit.

(May need to relog to see changes)
Doesn't seem to be the issue; after investigating it further, it seems it's related to how bukkit works in 1.18? I'm not sure, it loads worlds as dimensions in the console during bootup. Is there any way to change it?

Tau

Jan 12, 2022
Doesn't seem to be the issue; after investigating it further, it seems it's related to how bukkit works in 1.18? I'm not sure, it loads worlds as dimensions in the console during bootup. Is there any way to change it?
If you're talking about how bukkit extracts DIMs into their own worlds; It's done that for as long as I can remember.

This seems like a biome issue more than anything else.

Come to think of it I did hear of some ender biome issues at some point in paper. I don't remember what builds where affected though.

If you're saying that the dimensions don't appears to be loading as dimensions I can only recommend updating paper.
if the issue persists you may need to look into the level.dat file with a program like NBTExplorer

FivePB

Velocity Developer
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
fivepb.me
May I chime in here; It seems you were using some custom dimension attributes? Those exist since 1.16 and can be used to vastly alter how dimensions work and function
It may not be obvious looking at the server code, but here is roughly what the client gets about a dimension (type)
Whats being displayed in the screenshot is the world name.
Spigot and by extension Paper doesn’t make appropriate use of the new system yet, so any “normal” world will either be named minecraft:eek:verworld … nether and the_end
The game supports custom world names even with custom namespaces, like factions:war_world
See https://github.com/PaperMC/Velocity.../proxy/connection/registry/DimensionInfo.java for more information.
I really think its a shame they aren’t used to their full potential yet, because you could do some very nice things with them.

Your issue is that your custom type “minecraft:abyss” isn’t mapped to any dimension data (type), so it creates issues.

fishwasher

Jan 18, 2022
May I chime in here; It seems you were using some custom dimension attributes? Those exist since 1.16 and can be used to vastly alter how dimensions work and function
It may not be obvious looking at the server code, but here is roughly what the client gets about a dimension (type)
Whats being displayed in the screenshot is the world name.
Spigot and by extension Paper doesn’t make appropriate use of the new system yet, so any “normal” world will either be named minecraft:eek:verworld … nether and the_end
The game supports custom world names even with custom namespaces, like factions:war_world
See https://github.com/PaperMC/Velocity.../proxy/connection/registry/DimensionInfo.java for more information.
I really think its a shame they aren’t used to their full potential yet, because you could do some very nice things with them.

Your issue is that your custom type “minecraft:abyss” isn’t mapped to any dimension data (type), so it creates issues.
Ohh, I see. Thank you for the great explanation! I never was intentonally using any custom dimension attributes, and creating a new world with Multiverse yields the same effect with new End worlds, them not being properly recognised as an End world, creating the same lighting issues and the like. Is there any way I can map custom worlds to dimension data?